Friday, January 21, 2011

Food Wars: Kami Vs. Butternut Squash & Cauliflower

Food War Round 1: Kami vs. The "Infamous" Cauliflower
I have never been one to eat cauliflower...EVER...for any reason...EVER. But during this adventure to get healthy and lose 40 pounds in time for my 40th birthday I've been challenged to try lots of new things...LIKE CAULIFLOWER. My husband and I are only eating vegetables, fruits and grains. I haven't eaten any chicken or seafood this year. We don't eat beef or pork as a rule, so chicken and seafood are my only options anyway. I just think it's healthier for me with my high blood pressure issues.

So with only vegetables, fruits, and grains in our diet I have to switch things up and keep myself interested. So I looked at one of my favorite cookbooks; The Hungry Girl 200 Meals 200 Calories and Under. This book is amazing. So many delicious recipes; among them Cauliflower Casserole. Hmmmmm? Should I try it? Well, I think I shall.

So we did and of course it was fabulous. In fact is was so tasty I told my sons this may be my new substitute for my beloved macaroni and cheese. Cauliflower Casserole was cheesy, warm, creamy and the breadcrumbs on the top made for a nice contrasting texture. Overall, yummy.



Here's the recipe:

1 large cauliflower chopped into large pieces
2 cups of milk
6 TBSP of butter (yes butter!)
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
1/4 cup no fat ricotta cheese
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup bread crumbs
Salt and pepper to taste

Boil the chopped cauliflower for 6 minutes. Place in casserole dish sprayed with Pam. Melt 3 TBSP of butter in a saucepan and whisk in flour and a little salt. Whisk until bubbly. Pour in milk gradually . Whisk for about 3 minutes until thick and smooth. Stir in ricotta cheese. Pour over cauliflower. Melt remaining butter in saucepan and toss breadcrumbs to coat. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over cauliflower and sauce. Top with breadcrumbs.

Bake @ 375 for 20 minutes or until brown and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes and Enjoy!


Food War Round 2: Kami vs. The "Elusive" Butternut Squash
I must admit I don't know much about Butternut Squash. I do remember my Cousin Mildred making one of the tastiest pies I have ever put in my mouth from them when I was a child. But I have never attempted to cook one and didn't know how. In the spirit of trying new things I looked up a recipe online. I found this Moroccan Butternut Squash recipe and it was another good one.

My only problem with the Butternut Squash was CUTTING IT!!!! It was a beast to cut. Maybe because I don't have any Ginsu knives, but I struggled to get the hull off of it. So much so that my husband and children were laughing at me. I mean, this fruit is a tough nut to crack!...Okay I know that was corny, but I'm trying to make a point here.

As I struggled to cut and cube the butternut squash I said to myself, "this better be good.....all this work I'm putting into it". And it was. My husband even asked me to buy and roast another one as soon as possible. Well, he needs to buy a set of knives for me, if he wants that to happen! Seriously! After the cutting was over, the rest was easy.




After cubing the squash I added the following Moroccan type spices:

cumin
cayenne (not too much!)
allspice
cinnamon
pepper
sweet paprika

Directions:
Toss in olive oil first, sprinkle with seasoning mix. Spray your roasting pan and roast on 450 for about 30 minutes or until very brown and tender to the touch.....Enjoy!

Here's what ate today:
Breakfast - 3/4 cup roasted butternut squash
Lunch - Vegetable lo mein (I made it myself)
Dinner - cauliflower casserole and small salad
Beverages - water, water, water...I'm about to float away!..(hehe)

Exercise - 20 minutes of Michael Jackson the Experience for wii and 20 minutes of leg and ab work with my girl Mary J. Blige....good stuff!

Thank you so much for looking at my blog. I hope you'll try one of these recipes.

Live Long and Live Strong!!!

2 comments:

  1. That cauliflower casserole really does seem yummy!!! if you are still eating veggie foods, try these: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/2197/feta+zucchini+fritters Just made them yesterday and they were AMAZING! So tasty! Just remember to squeeze out as much water as possible from the grated zucchini.

    By the way, found my way here through the link you posted at move more, eat well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I followed you from mmew too love the idea of casserole yum

    ReplyDelete